Have the courage to make the changes YOU deserve!
10 Things To Help You Escape That Funk
No matter how positive your outlook on life and no matter how driven and determined you are, there will always be days that truly test you. Days when the clouds of doubt, overwhelm and uncertainty seem to be relentlessly following you around.
So how can you shake this? What can you do to turn things around? Here are my Top 10 things to do to help you get out of that funk, lift your spirits and help to reinvigorate you. In no particular order:
1) Give yourself a break!
Emotionally and literally. Try not to beat yourself up when you're feeling this way. Everyone has days like this! When was the last time you took a real break in your working week to do something you really love (of course this could be the dancing and singing I mention below!) but how about walking, shopping, visiting your favourite go to place - whatever takes your fancy! You are your own boss so give yourself permission to take this time to take a breather (book in that spa day!)
2) Write about how you're feeling.
This doesn't need to be a best seller! The daily habit of journalling is a great way to keep a track of how you're feeling, what thoughts are running through your mind and to keep tabs on the progress you're making against the goals you've set yourself. Journalling can help to unblock creativity, recharge your mental batteries and to work through issues that are standing in the way of you reaching your goals. It doesn't have to be beautiful prose. Free flow writing is all you need but these prompts might help you. If you find writing on a blank page daunting, pick one of these write it at the top of your blank page and off you go:
- If I could make one promise to myself it would be….
- What is my first thought in the mornings? (Keep a list)
- I’m so sick of…
- Today, I’m grateful for…
- What is one thing I wish I could change?
- What’s a quality I love about myself?
- What does my perfect day look like?
- What are some self-care ideas for when I’m feeling overwhelmed?
- List three things that scare you and why
- How would I describe myself to someone that does not know me?
- My favourite TV/book character is _________and this is what appeals to me about them
- If I could travel back in time and give myself advice before I took on a challenge, what would I say?
- What is something I look forward to every single day?
- Think of a time when you failed at something. What did that experience teach you?
- Keep a list of nice things people say about you.
- Keep an ongoing list of worries that you want to let go of.
- What activities make me calm?
- Write about a time that you made someone’s day better.
3) Make a gratitude list
What are the 5 things in your life right now that you feel grateful for? Write them down! This is something I try to do often (not just when I feel the funk).
4) Look back at your highlights
Look back over the year so far and write down 3 things you've achieved.
5) Dance like no one's watching
Put on some of your favourite tunes, dance like no one's watching and sing at the top of your voice! I've created a playlist especially for times when I feel like this and it has some absolute cloudbusting anthems on there!
6) Phone a friend
Not in the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire kind of way! Call that friend who makes you smile and injects positivity into your bones.
7) Create a Video/Podcasts Vault
Keep a bank of Youtube videos or podcasts episodes you find inspiring and motivational or just plain funny for you to watch or listen to when you feel like this.
8) Get up and GO OUTSIDE!
Sometimes just changing your space, moving around and getting some fresh air can help - especially if you spend the majority of your time indoors in your workspace.
9) Dress up and show up for YOU!
Take a look at what you're wearing. Is it time to put those jogging bottoms to one side and to pull a brush or comb through your hair? Re-discover your beauty regime (and this goes for the guys too!) Don't just dress up when you're going out to meet people. Dress up for you.
10) Take a bath
Or an extended shower! I find this helps to slow things right down. Treat yourself. Make it decadent - add your favourite bubbles or extra special shower lotion (Clarins Relax Bath & Shower Concentrate is my favourite!) and maybe light a few candles!
...and I know I said 10 things but here's a little bonus for you (because we all have times when we need a little boost and something to help us to be kinder to ourselves) - grab a copy of my Daily Journal and Positive Affirmation Toolkit.
Photo credit: Christopher Terry Photography